Tierra del Fuego

Tierra del Fuego
Tierra del Fuego

Monday, July 12, 2010

According to Mumzie, I have quite the following within the Murphy clan. She claims that people were very interested in my blog and my trip in general at the latest Murphy party. I'm sure she feels obligated to say that, so I'm not sure how much I believe her :) Either way, I know that at least a handful are reading this, so I'll keep posting!

I started talking about the bus tour, but there are two more things I wanted to add. We went to Cementaria de la Recoleta, which is where Eva Peron's body is. It was more like hundreds of mausoleums on streets and avenues. It was very maze-like with gorgeous buildings at every turn. After that we went to the restaurant La Biela where I had an amazing lomo sandwich, which is basically an incredibly tender steak sandwich. I took a picture, on the left. As you can see, it has melted cheese on top, and hard boiled eggs, tomato, and lettuce. I ate about half and couldn't force myself to eat any more!


On Friday we went to a flea-market with hundreds of venues outside with handmade leather, instruments, and other crafts. I was there with my roommates and we walked around for hours. The leather here is beautiful and so cheap! There are belts, bags, wallets, clothes, shoes, journals... basically anything that can be made with leather. We then met up with some others from our group and got some pizza. The pizza here is different wherever I get it; and it's always different from America. They use slices of mozzarella cheese instead of shredded and they put a whole olive on every piece... of every kind of pizza. I like it, but a lot of people don't.

Friday night we met up with Claudia and our whole group (17 of us total) and went to a tango "lesson". It was more like we sat at a long table and drank beer and ate some food. Then they called people up and tried to teach us steps to the tango. There was one instructor and about 50 people trying to follow. I did the best I could and got just about the basic steps. Then we got the chance to dance with the guys and I got a touchy-feely Argentine man who didn't speak english. We ended up stepping on eachother's feet and walking into other people the whole time so it didn't last long. Afterwards almost our entire group (minus Claudia of course) went to a bar and then a club. The dancing here doesn't start until 2:00am... it's really 3:30 though! We drank some cheap beer and got on the floor at 2:00 on the dot. We were the first ones dancing and even after it was insanely crowded we were the only ones really dancing. Everyone else just kind of shifted back and forth. We loved it! The lights were crazy and they even played some American music! We left at about 4:30 and got back at 5:00... and had to wake up at 11:00!
On Saturday night we went to a real Tango show. It was super touristy, but definitely worth it. We sat at tables in front of the stage and had amazing food and Argentine wine. I got steak salad with a tuna, anchovie sauce, and a grilled steak for my entree, and flan for dessert. The steak here is insanely good, and I don't even like steak that much in America! After our meal the show started. The dancers were so good and moved so quickly across the stage. They make it look so easy! After that a bunch of us went to a local bar and drank Quilmes, the local beer, that is just $16 pesos a litre ($4 U.S. dollars)! Once again we didn't get back until 5:00, but I got to sleep until 12:30 this time!

Sunday we went to Claudia's to watch the World Cup game. We watched about half and then decided to go the local fan park and watch instead. There were thousands of people standing outside on a big hill watching a huge screen broadcasting the game. There was a camera filming us that would air on the Argentine TV network! Everyone was rooting for Espana and when they won it was so exciting!!! I definitely have a newfound respect for soccer!



Today we had our first day of classes! Everyone's host mothers brought us to school and met eachother; it felt a lot like the first day of kindergarten. I am with two other girls: Robyn, and Lauren, one of my roommates. We are at about the same level so it's easy to feel comfortable with eathother. We had class for four hours and then a lecture for an hour and a half after lunch. Class was easy to get through, but the lecture was so boring and the man spoke so fast!


That's all I can think to talk about now... I think I've pretty much updated you all on everything now... I have to go work on the small amount of homework I have, and upload my pictures to facebook.... adios!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - so fun to read! I really got a feel for what you're up to, good job, honey. but I can't help laughing every time you describe some food, I don't know why. Please don't stop. The picture of the disgusting cheese covered steak is just too much! Glad you liked it (the half you could eat). The drinking and dancing sounds so fun - staying out 'til 5? Geez! Love the tango description, and the touchy-feely guy. You didn't mention that on the phone last night :) Watching soccer on an outside screen with thousands of people sounds awesome - Manny will be appreciating your new found respect for the game!

    Have a good class today - hope you did your homework (I am required to say that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia,
    Sounds like you're having a full Argentine experience, cheap beer and all. Keep it up! (I'm required to say THAT, as an irresponsible uncle on the non-Irish side)

    ReplyDelete